Saturday, March 25, 2017

6 MONTHS

Sorry to my missionary friends....this is long and just a gospel rant. Maybe just skip to the pics lol

Wow, can I just say that serving a mission is the BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE? I often think about who I was before my mission and give thanks that Heavenly Father saved me and brought me to El Paso. People write me all the time and ask for advice on whether or not they should go on a mission and for me, the answer is YES. We can try to pick our own paths, fill our lives with things that seem good (which I was so guilty of), but if you give it all to the Lord for just a few short months you would be so surprised at how much better His plans are. His plans are filled with HAPPINESS and JOY and PURPOSE!!! I don't even think I knew how much he LOVES his children until now! And if you aren't at the age to serve a mission, that's okay you can put your trust in God and have the same incredible happiness. Make sacrifices, keep the commandments, do His will, pray to him always, study His words, serve those around you. Then you will find that He takes your dreams and makes them 10x better. Every thing you have ever wanted goes away cause you know that everything He wants for you is beyond your wildest dreams. 

Someone in our ward shared this with me: A mission is like walking through a field of roses for 18-24 months. It is really scratchy, sometimes its even painful. You might be crying and cringing. Your legs are bleeding, your eyes are watering, and sometimes you just want to get out. Then when you are out of the field you look back and all you see is a beautiful ocean of roses. The thorns are completely forgotten and all you can talk about is that beautiful field of roses you spent so much time in. 

There are definitely hard times on a mission. But at the end of a hard day you learn the most valuable lessons. I have learned that Heavenly Father loves me. How many times do we say that and think we know what it means? It's not until I got out here, and the only person who is taking care of me is God, that I actually realized that He LOVES ME. He love ME. I am the worst! I've messed up, I've complained, I'm lazy, I've been rude to people, I've made mistakes, I've bailed on people, I've told lies.... and the supreme ruler over the whole universe personally loves ME. 

If you don't know how much love He has for you, I would recommend doing all it takes to find out. Cause once you know you will never be the same. 

There is a sure way to feel His love, and it actually is not a mission. For me, a mission just helped me realize, but this formula applies to anyone. Ready? 

The Formula:

Faith + Repent + Covenant 

That right there is the Doctrine of Christ. It is the Atonement!  I have seen those three steps change lives over night. I know it saved me from taking a completely different road, and I know it can save anyone who is willing to really apply it. 

Here are some solid scriptures that are all about the doctrine of Christ, and there are so many more than just these. 

"Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God? Know ye not that he hath all power, and at his great command the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll? Therefore, repent ye, and humble yourselves before him, lest his shall come out in justice against you." -Mormon 5:23-24

"And also that ye might know of the coming of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and of earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and that ye might know of the signs of his coming, to the intent that ye might believe on his name. And if ye believe on his name ye will repent of all your sins, that thereby ye may have a remission of them through his merits." -Heleman 14: 12-13

In Alma 22:15 Lamoni's father, a king, asks Aaron (a super awesome missionary who went through a crazy repentance process) what he should do to have eternal life and joy in this life. Aaron says in 16, "If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest."

Some people think that repentance is a bad thing. That if they repent that they will just be trapped in shame and guilt. But it is just the opposite! Repentance is the best feeling in the world! You can do it every day! There are so many people in the Book of Mormon (Enos 1, Alma 36, 2 Nephi 4) who had to repent. Most of the stories are of people repenting from serious stuff, but because they repent God makes them into WARRIORS and PROPHETS and SEERS and MIRACLE WORKERS. And guess what, the moment we get on our knees, give up a bad habit, walk into the bishops office, pick up our scriptures again... those prophets, seers, and warriors  are right there with us. Guess who else is right there with you? Jesus Christ. He's been there, he's felt what you feel, and he's just been desperately waiting to chose to make the change and come to Him. Just believe that He is waiting to take you into His arms, and He will. 

"Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me." 3 nephi 9:14


Then the last step is covenant. That is baptism, taking the sacrament, going to the temple, personal promises (like the Anti-Lehi-Nephis). That's why the people we meet who have faith and repent, practically beg to be baptized! How cool is it to make a promise with God. He is the best person to make a promise with because we promise to keep the commandments and in return he gives us HAPPINESS, PEACE, JOY, and ETERNAL LIFE. That's not even a fair trade for Him! But it works, I've seen it and I've experienced it. 

Wow, this next year is going to be so incredible. I can't believe time is flying so quickly! I wish it would slow down. Thank you for all of the support, and for all those who pushed me to get out here! I am so in debt to all of you! THANK YOU!

Hermana Johnson xoxoxoxox




No comments:

Post a Comment